Fine Art Printing Information
Giclee Fine Art prints (pronounced ‘gee-clay) are extremely high quality, archival grade digital prints that use an ultra fine inkjet printing process to produce superb quality prints unparalleled vibrancy and detail that literally last well over a life time. Giclee printing is widely regarded as one of the very best photographic and fine art printing methods and has become extremely popular with artists and photographers displaying their images in art galleries, museums and exhibitions.
The word ‘Giclee’ comes from the French verb ‘to spray’ referring to the process in which archival UV–resistant pigment inks are laid down onto fine art and photo-base papers and canvas.
We stock a variety of papers to suit your likes and subject matter. From Ilford, Kodak, Canson and Hahnemuhle. View more information on our Fine Art Prints Page.
Epsons Ultrachrome K3 inks are pigment based. They offer strong deep blacks, rich shadow detail and a broad smooth colour gamut, allowing for prints of tremendous impact. Independent print permanence tests indicate the lifespan of these inks when used on high quality papers as over 100 years before visible fading occurs.
We print on our EPSON Stylus Pro 11880 printer with top of the range SERENDIPITY MEGARIP and expertly profiled by Les Walking ensuring consistency and quality every time. The 9 colour Epson UltraChrome K3 archival pigment ink system has the broadest colour gamut in its class. We can print to a maximum image width of 60inch by any length at the highest 2880dpi resolution. The Epson 11880 can print on all types of media with clarity, colour balance and precision.
NOTE ON GICLEE FINE ART PRINTING
We recommend all prints be sprayed with a surface protection spray. We can also spray-laminate the finished print using a highly flexible protective coating. The laminate is waterbased, UV Blocked, scratch resistant, antifungal and ultra clear. Prism Imaging accepts no responsibility for prints damaged after they leave the premises.
Feel free to pop in store to view paper samples or email us to request a sample pack.
Group A Paper
- Kodak Premium Lustre Paper (270gsm): A general purpose lustre surface similar to photographic paper E surface with. A lovely standard for commercial prints. Please note this paper is not archival
Group B Paper
- Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl (310gsm): A smooth pearl paper, superb photographic image quality and consistent with the look and feel of a real photograph.
- Ilford Galerie Metallic Gloss (260gsm): This stunning paper offers photographers the ability to print images with a true ‘wow’ factor. The iridium finish gives every image a three-dimensional look ensuring that each print truly comes to life. Although the media adds an additional creative angle to portrait and studio photography, it also lends itself perfectly to enhancing mechanical, industrial or architectural images.
Group C Paper
- Museo Portfolio Rag (300gsm): A smooth matte 100% cotton rag. An ideal fine art paper for exhibition and portfolio prints, when you need exceptional tonal range on a surface that will not detract from your photographic images. Has a natural creamy white.
- Ilford Smooth Rag (310gsm): A very smooth matte 100% cotton rag paper with no optical brighteners.
- Hahnemuhle German Etching Paper (310gsm): This mould-made heavy weight paper features a distinct textured surface. Perfect for images that have texture in the subject matter and illustrations and artworks
- Canson Photographique Rag (310gsm): This paper type offers an exceptional smooth white tone, achieved during manufacturing by introducing natural minerals to the process. It offers a unique extra smooth surface with a sensual feel.
- Canson BFK Rives Textured Rag (310gsm): A beautiful textured rag paper, with a very specific smooth and velvety base. Exceptional with colour, the BFK Rives has a unique pure white tone obtained without the use of optical brighteners. Less textured compared to the German etching
- Canson Platine Fibre Rag (310gsm): Setting the benchmark for Digital Darkroom papers, Platine Fibre Rag provides the aesthetic and feel of the original F-Type Baryta Fibre paper, excellent for grey tones, B&W work and colour. Beautiful grain like surface.
- Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk (310gsm): A semi-gloss paper with traditional barium sulphate (baryta) base which gives the creamy whites and velvety blacks of a true fibre photographic B&W print.
- Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss (310gsm): A beautiful 100% cotton paper similar to the old fibre based darkroom papers with a gentle warm tone.
- Canson Baryta (310gsm): Museum grade baryta photo paper with no optical brighteners.
Canvas / Other:
- Canson ProCanvas (395gsm): A natural white canvas that produces vivid colours, precise gradations and deep blacks. High end quality and free of optical brighteners, Pro Canvas offers exceptional colour stability over time and resistance to ageing. Comes in a matte or Lustre finish. •
- Magiclee Fab-Lite: A semi-sheer, silk-like 100% polyester woven matte finish fabric. Great for producing lightweight flags, banners, table top and trade show displays, window decorations,
- Kodak Universal Backlit Film: A gloss-coated polyester designed to produce vibrant light box graphics. It also looks great without backlighting for other display applications.
- Phototex Fabric Paper (140gsm): Phototex is an extremely versatile material that can be adhered to walls, ceilings, and doors. With the ability to be repositioned and reused over and over again. It can be applied indoors to create attractive murals, family shots or wedding photos regardless of temperature, moisture or weather conditions. It leaves no sticky residue when removed and is 100% non-toxic, safe and biodegradable. It has a wonderful weaved texture with a lustre finish and can be used to follow a wall around a corner with superb impact, the interior design options are endless!
C-type printing gives true continuous tone, sharp photographic images, with crisp and precise edge to edge printing. C-type photographic technology has taken over from the traditional photographic process and uses an LED light source to expose images onto photosensitive professional paper stock. This process is known as ‘wet processing’ in the same manner as traditional photography, otherwise known as ‘RA4’ or ‘C-type’ printing.
C-type prints can be produced from digital files, transparencies, colour and black & white negatives. We print on three different surfaces including Lustre, Gloss and Metallic. All papers are Fuji Crystal Archive stock, backed by Fuji’s manufacturing standards giving the paper a superior archival life.
Completely colour managed with strict in-house linearization monitoring methods ensures no drift, accurate and consistent prints that will amaze you.
Phototex is an extremely versatile material that can be adhered to walls, ceilings, and doors. Because Phototex can be re-positioned and reused over and over, you don’t have to worry about getting it right first time, simply peel off and start again.
Suitable for both indoors and outdoors use, Phototex is a great option for displaying attractive murals, family shots or wedding photos whatever the temperature, moisture or weather conditions. It leaves no sticky residue when removed and is 100% non-toxic, safe and biodegradable.
Phototex prints have a wonderful woven texture with a lustre finish. They can even be mounted around corners for a superb impact; a dream product for interior designers.
Why not bring your favourite landscape home with you? To order a Phototex Print simply go to our uploads section in the menu and upload your photo.